In 1863 the Washingtonian Home for the Cure of Inebriates opened at 547 State Street, Chicago, Illinois. On January 14, 1864 the Washingtonian Home Association was organized and its first constitution adopted.
In January of 1865 the Washingtonian Home issued an annual report stating that during its first year twenty-three men were residents of the home, including two clergymen, a cabinetmaker, an editor, two lawyers, and a surgeon. In response to the need for larger facilities the home relocated to West Madison Street in 1865. Renovations completed in 1875 enabled the home to serve 100 male patients at a time.
In the late 1800s the association bought 10 acres of land at Irving Park and Western. In 1882 the association established at that location the Martha Washington Home for Women. For the next 100 years the institution, which evolved into the Martha Washington Hospital, continued to serve the Lakeview, Ravenswood, and other Chicago neighborhoods. The hospital continued in operation until 1992.
Since then the Washingtonian Health Care Foundation assembled and organized the historical archive, including minutes from the Board of Trustees and other meetings of the Washingtonian Home of Chicago, the Martha Washington Hospital, the Washington Health Care Corporation, and MarTech Enterprises, Inc., 1934-1990. The presentation of the archive to the UIC Library was made by Lewis F. Matuszewich, Chair, and Vicent Saverino, Secretary of the Board of the Washingtonian Health Care Foundation.
The records are available for use in the reading room of the Special Collections and University Archives Department at the Richard J. Daley Library. Finding aid is available at http://uic.edu/depts/lib/findingaids/MSWHCF_11